The Drugs Control Organisation was functioning, as a subordinate office under Directorate of Health Services till January 1986 and Director Health Services was the Ex-officio Drugs Controller. Thereafter, The Drugs Control Organisation became an independent Department with Drugs Controller as Head of Department.
The Drugs Control Department of Delhi State is enforcing the provisions of following statutes, enacted by Government of India :
- Drugs & Cosmetics Act, 1940 and Rules made there under.
- Drugs & Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisements) Act, 1954.
- Drugs (Prices Control) Order, 2013.
A. ENFORCEMENT OF DRUGS & COSMETICS ACT, 1940 AND RULES THERE UNDER:-
Main activities of the Department in brief are as under : -
- Inspection for grant / renewal of licences for the manufacture of allopathic drugs including whole human blood / blood components / Blood products, surgical dressings, diagnostic reagents/ Kits, disposable syringes/needles/perfusion sets, repacking of drugs, homoeopathic medicines and cosmetics.
- Inspection for grant / renewal of licences for retail and wholesale of drugs including homoeopathic medicines. No licence for sale of Ayurvedic /Unani / siddha medicines and cosmetics is required.
- Collection of samples of drugs & cosmetics from mfg./ sale premises for test / analysis to check their quality being manufactured and sold in Delhi.
- Inspections and raids with a view to detect offences under the Act specially movement and sale of spurious drugs/ cosmetics.
- Investigations of cases of contraventions under the Act.
- Inspections of the premises licensed for manufacture and sale of drugs, with a view to ensure that conditions of the licences are complied with.
- Launching of prosecutions against persons / firms found contravening the provisions of the Act.
B. ENFORCEMENT OF DRUGS & MAGIC REMEDIES (OBJECTIONABLE ADVERTISEMENT) ACT,1954
Under the Act, various advertisements published in newspapers, periodicals and journals are scrutinized for objectionable advertisements. Investigations are carried out in all such cases where contraventions are observed. Appropriate action is taken and prosecutions are launched under the Act against the persons found publishing objectionable advertisements.
C. ENFORCEMENT OF DRUGS (PRICES CONTROL) ORDER 2013
Under this Order, sales premises are checked to ensure that drugs are sold at a price not exceeding the maximum retail price plus local taxes payable extra. Those found violating the said Order are prosecuted under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955 read with the Drugs (Prices Control) Order, 2013.
Besides, the Drugs Control Department also carries out the following activities :
- Advises a new entrepreneur regarding requirements of premises, location, plant & machineries etc for setting up factory for manufacture of drugs/cosmetics.
- Allocates narcotic drugs to the licensed drugs manufacturing units.
- Carries out surveys to find out availability of essential drugs in the market and communicates details of shortage, if any, to the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority, Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers, Govt. of India, every month, for follow up action.